~ LIVING LIFE, NOT JUST SURVIVING IT ~
••• tiff firth photography •••

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

farmer's statue

August is the big month for Year of the Farmer for 2012.

With this in mind, when I was in Wudinna for the WWWW weekend, I jumped at the chance to photograph the Farmer's Statue that's there.

Australian Farmer Statue at Wudinna.. Eyre Peninsula. South Australia
The Australian Farmer (also known as the Big Farmer) is a statue located in Wudinna, South Australia. Regarded as one of Australia's Big Things, the granite sculpture stands at 8 metres (26 ft) in height, and weighs in the vicinity of 70 tonnes. It took 17 years to produce from initial proposal to the final unveiling in 2009, and two years for the artist, Marijan Bekic (with the assistance of his son, David), to carve. The stylised work of a farmer represents the early settlers of the region, with carvings symbolising grain and sheep found within the sculpture - Wikipedia.


Front view with the South Australian Flower - the Sturt Desert Pea. (I've never seen the flower IRL so that was a big bonus for me)




I've a few fun shots of Gina, Amy, Denise and myself clowning around. I haven't asked permission to show them.


At night. The top one is the front view (wheat) and the bottom view is the back view and represents Barely.

No comments: